Frequently Asked Questions
Whenever I install a Windows 95 game my
monitor goes blank and displays thin vertical lines?
Moto Racer is not installed correctly on
my MS500 computer, what do I do?
When I try to run the "Fade 2 Black"
game supplied with my PC it sometimes reports that the CD is not in the drive?
Direct Draw Drivers Causing Blank
Screen on MS systems (MM & MF)
Whenever I install a Windows 95 game my monitor goes blank and displays thin vertical
It has been found that the installation of Direct Draw 2 drivers as supplied with some
popular entertainment software for Windows 95 can cause a blank display when entering
Some Direct Draw 2 drivers incorrectly detect the on-board ATI video
controller, during installation, and changes the Windows 95 display driver properties to
ATI Graphics Pro Turbo PCI (mach64). This results in a blank screen with several vertical
bars displayed in place of the Windows 95 desktop.
The solution is to restart Windows 95 in safe mode and manually
reconfigure the video adapter, in display properties, to the correct type, ATI mach64 PCI
The procedure to adopt is as follows:-
- Start Windows 95 in safe mode (press F8 when "Starting Windows
95...." is displayed).
- Click OK on the message box regarding safe mode and right click on the
desktop and select properties from the pop-up menu.
- Left Click on the settings tab.
- Left Click on the Change Display Type button.
- Left Click on the Change button next to Adapter Type
- Left Click on Show all Devices
- change the Adapter Type to ATI mach64 PCI (Direct Draw)
- Apply this change and restart Windows 95.
This procedure may need to be repeated if another package is installed which uses Direct
Draw 2 drivers.
Software packages identified to exhibit this effect are as follows :-
Flight Simulator for Windows 95
Command & Conquer Red Alert
Intel MMX rolling demo
Moto Racer is not installed correctly on my MS500 computer, what do I
If Moto Racer is not correctly installed, an error message appears when
you attempt to start the game (see diagram below).
To cure this problem you need to uninstall and then reinstall Moto
Racer, using the following procedure;
- Make sure that the Entertainment Centre is not running, as this will
prevent the Moto Racer CD from auto-playing.
- Insert the Moto Racer CD, it will now auto-play.
- From the menu that appears when the CD autoplays, click on Uninstall and
then Yes to remove all of its components.
- When the uninstall has successfully completed, click on OK.
- From the menu, click on Install. Follow the on-screen instructions to
complete the installation.
- The game will now run OK.
Fade to Black
When I try to run the game "Fade 2 Black" that is supplied with my PC, it
sometimes reports that the CD is not in the drive?
There has been some reported instances of the Fade to Black CD not functioning correctly
on high speed CD ROM drives (8speed and above).
The faults appear as:
- CD appears blank (i.e. no contents)
- Game does not run
- Entertainment Centre keeps asking for the CD even though it is in the
If you are experiencing problems with your copy of Fade to Black, please
return it to the following address along with a cover note detailing:
- Your Name and Address
- Your Phone Number
- Model and Serial number of your computer
- The problem you are experiencing with the CD
A replacement CD will be supplied to you by return mail.
Send your CD to:
FADE TO BLACK
RETAIL SUPPORT DEPARTMENT
APRICOT COMPUTERS LTD
BIRMINGHAM BUSINESS PARK
Return to FAQ Contents